Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Charley Harper


Several months ago, I was in a wonderful little shop here in Santa Fe ("one of one") I struck up a conversation with the owner, Melissa, about an artist named Charley Harper.
I was looking at some of the wonderful cards and calendars that she had of his work...and then she pulled out a beee-utiful book done by Todd Oldham: "Charley Harper, an illustrated life"
wow....

check out this tiled wall! ...can you imagine?    ...wow......
 (click on the photo to enlarge)

As we talked, Melissa told me about the day that a couple walked in and commented that the shop had "some of Charley's work".. She talked to them and found they were Todd Oldham's parents (!) ...another "wow".......and they live in Taos.........
I spent a long time looking at the beeee-utiful book, and then she asked if I would like to borrow it. I was blown away. 
These pictures are from that book. I apologize for the quality, but if you look "through" my lack of photographic expertise, you will see how incredible his style and keen design sense is. 
What an inspiration...

3 comments:

  1. I am totally blown away by his art. thanks for introducing me to him. there are several calendars out of his art as well. the Valentine barn owl is my favorite. amazing. just amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here is a short video about Charley Harper
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUTQ9_e8WXI

    ReplyDelete