Monday, August 23, 2010

Alexander Girard

I have been sitting at the kitchen table today, cutting out images from some wrapping paper designed by Alexander Girard back in the '60s. I have re-arranged some of these images and made some cards out of them.....what do you think?

I really like the subtle gray-blue-charcoal in this one....

...and then, some Christmas cards:
I get a little chill when I see how extraordinary his designs are.
They can be mix-matched over and over and still come out so "right"

I remember visiting the World's Fair in San Antonio, Texas in 1968.
it was Hemisfair and, for me, MAGICAL....
one of my favorite exhibits was a building that housed
an incredible collection by a man with named Girard.
......wow.....
Since San Antonio was only an hour away, my family visited often.
My mom and I loved the Girard Collection so much.

In 1973, I left on a jet plane to fly to Switzerland to live.
I will never forget the plane - a "pickle" green Braniff jet.
I could not have been happier.
-it was a good omen.

Alexander Girard designed the Braniff logo and all that went with it!

When I came to Santa Fe the very first time in 1985,
my friend Nora and I went to
the Museum of International Folk Art.

well, first of all - WHAT A MUSEUM!
But, the wing we fell in love with - was the Girard Wing.
Alexander Girard lived in Santa Fe, NM and donated his collection -
(the one I had seen so many years before at Hemisfair)
to this museum in the very place I had chosen to live as an adult.

When I worked at Doodlet's, a wonderful store in Santa Fe,
I delivered Mrs Girard's purchases to their home one Christmas.
It was definitely a highlight of my life.
They lived with some of the most incredible things that I
have ever seen, displayed in the same way as the museum.
(he had designed that, too, complete with lighting)

took my breath away..

And now, I get to work with people who make sure that
the Girard design
is out there in the world on beautiful products for all to enjoy.

3 comments:

  1. thanks for the nice comment and visit the other day, Jone! love these and all your wonderfully creative projects. sail on! xoC

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are on a well deserved roll Jone! I love the colours and the designs and what great cards they make - there's nothing like great design - it cam be applied to any medium and look just as good. What great opportunity it is to see an artist or designer in their own space - unforgettable - like Billie!!
    Xxdi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Doodlets !!!! I loved Doodlets. I still have some german stampings in my hoard from that wonderful store. I lived there in the mid-80's and adored the museums...all of them !!!!!Thanks for the remembrances !

    ReplyDelete